Equality at Horizon
Horizon Academy Trust is committed to ensuring equality of opportunity in line with the Equality Act 2010. We act to reduce disadvantages, discrimination and inequalities of opportunity, and promote diversity in terms of our pupils, our workforce and the community in which we work.
Where pupils experience barriers to their success we will work with them to address these in a sensitive and sympathetic way. We will teach our pupils the importance of equality and what forms discrimination can take and the impact discrimination can have.
The Protected Characteristics that apply to schools are:
- Age (in relation to staff only);
- Gender re-assignment;
- Marriage and civil partnership (in relation to staff only);
- Pregnancy and Maternity;
- Religion Faith or Belief;
- Sex; and
- Sexual orientation.
Horizon Academy Trust does not accept any of the following:
• Direct or Indirect Discrimination;
• Harassment; and
Horizon Academy Trust complies with the Public Sector Equality Duty giving due regard to that duty when making decisions, taking actions and developing policies. In line with the specific duties under the Equality Act 2010, we will publish our equality objectives and will publish information about how we are complying with the Public Sector Equality Duty.
Published Information will be reviewed annually and objectives will be updated every four years. This information is available on our website.
Horizon Academy Trust is committed to ensuring equality across our schools. We set equality objectives every four years, and publish data on our progress towards these annually. We recognise that our equality objectives are an essential part of promoting equality across the Trust. Our objectives are set and reviewed at a Trust level, with input from our schools to ensure they are relevant and meaningful to the communities that they serve. Schools present their individual progress to their Local Governing Bodies annually for a local review.
For the period 2018-2022 our equality objectives are:
1. To ensure that every school within HAT will have an up to date single equality scheme based on researching the school to meet the needs of pupils and the school community.
2. To improve our workforce data and to meet our statutory obligations under the Gender Pay Gap Reporting by ensuring there are appropriate mechanisms within Horizon Academy Trust for monitoring and reviewing equality workforce data, developing a good understanding of equality issues, ensuring there is a culture of understanding and accountability.
3. To review current safer recruitment processes/practices, documentation and policies to ensure ongoing culture of safeguarding good practice and compliance with equality issues, ensuring there is a culture of understanding and accountability.
4.Each school has a designated member of staff for monitoring equality issues, and an equality link governor. They regularly liaise regarding any issues and make senior leaders and governors aware of these as appropriate.
We will report on progress towards these goals in the autumn term.
This progress will be reviewed at a school level by Local Governing bodies, and at Trust level by the Board of Trustees.